Thursday, December 17, 2009

Quilted Zipper Bag......Tutorial


This was so much fun........I thought you might like to make one too!


Click Images to Enlarge:


Quilted Zipper Bag




My inspiration came from this green zipper bag my friend Celia made for me two summers ago...




Strips cut randomly from 1 to 3 inches wide x 45 inches




1/4 inch piece all strips together into a strip unit 
measuring 18 x 45 inches




Spray Baste the strip unit to batting and backing fabric
I like all of these adhesive sprays




Audition quilting thread
Be sure to spool out enough thread to see how it looks




I chose to free motion quilt a feather type design all over.
You could also straight stitch or cross-hatch 
with a walking foot.




Cut the quilted piece into 5 sections 8.5 inches each
This will make 5 zipper bags

Trim off the batting edges.




Find zippers 9 inches or longer.
If they are too long, you just cut off the extra...later.




Place the zipper face down on the pretty side of the fabric.
Stitch in place using a zipper foot.
I line the foot up with the right edge of the zipper.




Unzip the zipper and sew the left side of the zipper
 to the left side of the bag.

Press the seams over toward the inside of the bag.




From the back side, top stitch the zipper in place.
I line the left side of my zipper foot with the left side of the zipper.
It will give you a nice, even straight stitched line on the front side.




Zipper installed and top stitched.




Zip up the zipper and turn the bag inside out.

Be sure to leave at least an inch of fabric folded over above the zipper...see image above.




Stitch down the right side of the bag through all layers.
I sew over the zipper twice for extra strength in the seam.




Trim off the excess zipper end.




Make a handle from a 1.5 inch strip of coordinating fabric.
Fold the raw edges toward the middle, then fold in half.
Top stitch together on the left side of the strap.




Cut off a 8 inch length of strap for each bag




Tuck the folded strap inside the bag, with raw edges facing outward, and pin in place.




Stitch down the left side of the bag through the handle and zipper.
I double stitch over the handle and zipper area.

p.s. Did you un-zip the zipper before you sewed this last side?




I want the bag to have a flat bottom so it will stand up.
I fold down the bottom corners into a triangle and sewed in about an inch.




Trim off the excess triangle.




The square bottom is a nice addition to the bag.




This quilted bag tutorial makes 5 zipper bags!

Have fun!

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to see the Juicy Orange Bags I made...

CLICK HERE to see the bags Linda made using this tutorial...


May Your Bags Always have Zippers,
LuAnn

To see my New Work CLICK HERE

To see the Thread Shed CLICK HERE

To see my Exhibit Quilts CLICK HERE

To see Tutorials CLICK HERE

33 comments:

  1. LuAnn, this is a wonderful tutorial! Thank you! Now if I can just get a few made up before Christmas. Thanks again, I always look forward to your blog updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty bags, and so easy!Thank you for this - I'll be making a few of these in the next little while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, LuAnn, for this excellent tutorial. The bags look so pretty ! And easy to make !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! As usual you have the bestest pictures and the clearest instructions! Bravo!

    Thank you,
    jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tutorial for making Quilted Zipper Bags is one of the best I've ever seen. This definitely does into my list of favorite tutorials. I love this one and can't wait to give it a try!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been invited to find your blog by SewCalGal... So pleased I did x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow.... I think I can even do this.... going through stash now!
    Thanks for the great tutural!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great directions, I plan on making a few of these for gifts. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...awesome...thank you for sharing the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bag, will make some soon.Love 'em
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love them and your feather stitch is awesome..
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of the TUT's I have seen in a goodly bit! Love the look of these bags. I am thinking C Gifts for a lot of gals on my list chunk-ed full of goodies!!
    Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful creativity with us !!!
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this bag, your tutorial is awesome, and I can't wait to make some! I'm going to gather my materials RIGHT NOW and get to work. Thanks, karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow thank you for putting together this tutorial! It's so well written and the pictures are so helpful. I can't wait to make a few.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an awesome way to tweek out alot of bags in a matter of minutes....love the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so cute ,thanks for this tuto, five zipper bag at the time it's great
    then I put your link on my blog with a photo?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute! These would make outstanding gifts for a few friends, or a coordinated set for yourself. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, thanks for your great tutorial! I've just added your tutorial to my Free Purse, Tote and Handbag Directory at
    http://www.linda-matthews.com/free-purse-patterns-and-tutorials/by-date/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I’ll love to read your next post too.
    regards:

    Traveling bags
    :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely project, great tutorial and amazing free motion quilting! Congrats :O)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome, thanks for sharing the information dear LuAnn. Najma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great instructions for super bags! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for a fun bag... I made a couple and posted a link to your GREAT tutorial. Here is a link to my blog post... if you want to check them out.
    http://www.quiltmonstercloset.com/2012/06/tgiff-jolly-rancher-bags.html

    Thank you again,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Son una monada y muchas gracias por el tutorial!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fab Tutorial! :) I've just entered your bag into this weeks bag Brag Tuesday linking Party at ChrisW Designs http://blog.chriswdesigns.com/2013/08/bag-brag-tuesday-linking-party-week-eleven.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a wonderful idea and so simple, thank you. Your instructions are fantastic and easy to follow. I am making 5 with the input from my daughter for her teachers in nursery for christmas. Thank you on e again. L

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad everyone is inspired to give these great little zipper bags a try!

    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the design of this bag, I wanted to make a make-up bag for my sister-in-law for christmas and this is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great little bag. Good instructions. However, did I miss the list of supplies? Were they posted somewhere? Just not sure how many different fabrics you choose, or yardage. Like 1/8th yard of like 5 prints? Im guessing here, lol. Id love to do this for a 4-H group project for them to do a back to school goody bag or even to make for the local groups that are sending the "period pal bags" to Africa. Thanks sew much

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ty for sharing this, I'm inspired to make the small bag plus make a full sized purse, again, ty

    ReplyDelete